Re: ISSUE-76: Need feedback on splitting Microdata into separate specification

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:12:53 -0700
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> Jonas Sicking wrote:

>> Because IMHO they are an integral part of the HTML language. XHR for
>> example is almost entirely language independent. There's certainly
>> features that I'd like to see broken out of HTML5, such as the Window
>> object, but given that microdata introduces new markup, I think
>> breaking that out would be much more awkward. Another couple of
>
> The same can be said about RDFa.

Indeed.

> Unless the WG is prepared to decide on RDFa *or* Microdata, both extensions
> should get the same treatment.

I definitely prefer microdata over RDFa. I.e. I think microdata solves
the use cases better than RDFa does, due to microdata being simpler.
That's what I intended to say in my initial email in this thread.

However I respect if that the WG might feel otherwise. Just giving my
opinion. And I don't in any way prevent publishing of the RDFa+HTML
spec.

/ Jonas