Re: ISSUE-76: Need feedback on splitting Microdata into separate specification

From: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:35:18 -0500
To: public-html@w3.org
> Jonas Sicking wrote:
> > Because IMHO they are an integral part of the HTML language. XHR for
> > example is almost entirely language independent. There's certainly
> > features that I'd like to see broken out of HTML5, such as the Window
> > object, but given that microdata introduces new markup, I think
> > breaking that out would be much more awkward. Another couple of
>
> The same can be said about RDFa.
>
> Unless the WG is prepared to decide on RDFa *or* Microdata, both
> extensions should get the same treatment.

Actually, HTML+RDFa should continue on, as is. I think that Manu and
others involved in writing the document made a responsible decision to
publish the document separately. This prevents cluttering up an already
overly large, overly complex HTML5 specification. It also, as Manu
stated, allows for HTML+RDFa to progress at its own pace, to achieve a
maturity and acceptance on its own. The authors of HTML+RDFa have enough
faith in the specification that they don't feel it _has_ to be contained
in the HTML5 document, in order to achieve success and acceptance.

I would think that Microdata supporters would feel the same.

> BR, Julian
Shelley