Re: ISSUE-76: Need feedback on splitting Microdata into separate specification

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 20:01:48 +0200
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "Manu Sporny" <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Cc: "HTMLWG WG" <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 18:31:04 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>

> Incidentally, I feedback from the Working Group is welcome and
> encouraged on the topic of whether Microdata should be split out of the
> main spec, even in advane of the Change Proposal. Right now it's not
> clear to me who in the Working Group is in favor of or against this
> change, and why.

Personally, I support the inclusion of Microdata in HTML5 as it is a
fairly simple syntax/model and a DOM interface which should be familar to
web developers while still solving real use cases. I can't see any real
benefits from breaking it out into a separate spec, especially given that
the actual elements and attributes would need to stay in HTML5.

Philip Jägenstedt
(not representing Opera Software on Microdata issues)