Re: HTML5 Issue 11 (encoding detection): I18N WG response...

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Ian Hickson On 09-10-11 21.23:
> > On Sun, 11 Oct 2009, Leif Halvard Silli wrote (reordered):
> > >
> > > The choice of character set - alphabet - for instance, has always
> > > been a political matter, and still is.
> >
> > Ok, then it seems sensible to use a political way of speaking to refer
> > to the choice of alphabet.
> >
> > > "Western this-and-that" is predominantly a political way of
> > > speaking.
> >
> > Good, then it is appropriate terminology.
>
> Appropriate for what?

For the spec. Using political ways of speaking to talk about political
matters.

> "Western European Language [environments]" as Addison suggested is a
> reasonable neutral term, btw, despite use of "Western". It also gives
> the reader much more hints about what the politics involved ...

"European" has no place in this term, as far as I can tell.

> > > Therefore is wrong to use a wording that causes readers to think in
> > > political terms.
> >
> > But you agree that it _is_ a political matter.
>
> Which "it" are you referring to now?

The choice of character set - alphabet.

> "Western demographics" is a term that leaves the job of finding out
> which those areas are to the reader, anyhow.

If we can have instead a table of languages to default encodings, I would
much rather have that. Is the data for such a table available?

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> It probably wouldn't make sense to build an exhaustive lists of locales
> where browsers default to Windows-1252, but wouldn't it be feasible to
> build an exhaustive list of the locales where browsers *don't* default
> to Windows-1252 (e.g. by grepping Firefox localization files)?

If such data is available, I'd be happy to include it instead of the
current text.

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009, Mark Davis â~X~U wrote:

> But focusing on advice to developers, I'd suggest replacing 6 and 7 in
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#determining-the-character-encoding,
> by the following 3 numbered items.
>
>    - Test if the bytes are valid UTF-8. If they are, return return that
>    encoding, with the
> confidence<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#concept-encoding-confidence>
>    *tentative*, and abort these steps.
>       - *[include note about UTF-8 patterns, maybe reworded a bit.]*
>    - The user agent may attempt to autodetect the character encoding *[include
>    rest of #5]*
>    - Otherwise, return an implementation-defined or user-specified default
>    character encoding, with the
> confidence<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#concept-encoding-confidence>
>    *tentative*. Due to its widespread use as a default in legacy content,
>    windows-1252 is recommended as a default in the absences of other
>    information.

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> So you are suggesting making UTF-8 autodetect mandatory while leaving
> the rest of chardet optional? Does any one of the 5 top browsers do
> that?

Mark, could you elaborate on your reasoning for this proposal and on the
intent of browser vendors to follow those requirements?

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2009, at 12:23 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > What phrase best approximates the areas of the world where _today_ UAs
> > are shipping with a 1252 default encoding?
>
> "locales that predominantly use the Latin script"

Given that 1252 is the Latin script, and seem circular.

> Or you could say:
>
> "locales that predominantly use the Latin script, and whose primary
> languages are completely or almost completely covered by Windows-1252."

I'd rather just have an explicit table, if we can.

> Note: in the browsers that vary this, it is always determined by
> "locale", not "demographic" (which is not a computing concept). I don't
> think using the term "demographic" makes sense in this context.

Fair enough. Changed to "locale".