Re: ISSUE-55: Re-enable @profile in HTML5 (draft 1)

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 01:53:43 -0700
Cc: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>

On Oct 12, 2009, at 1:13 AM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> I was thinking about the per-subtree-version-indicator when I wrote my
> post. While I agree that it makes it easier for content producers that
> produce a snippet of markup, it adds significant complexity to the
> language. Just look at the amount of complexity xml:base or xmlns
> produce.
>
> Not sure I have a firm recommendation on the subject, just wanted to
> highlight some (what I consider) significant downsides with the
> approach.

I agree, it can be complicated to process a document with mixed
versions, if versioning triggers different processing. But if you have
global versioning only, then you can't safely use the versioned
feature syndication feeds or mashups. Overall, I think this is an
argument against versioning as a trigger for different processing
behavior.

Regards,
Maciej