Re: ISSUE-55: Re-enable @profile in HTML5 (draft 1)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 11:57:30 +0200
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> 5) People may think that it makes sense to allow legacy use and
> processing of @profile, but not agree that HTML should have a versioning
> mechanism. By putting these in one spec, we're forced to decide on two
> completely separate issues at once as a Working Group, and anyone
> deciding on which specs are applicable specifications (e.g. for purposes
> of making a validator) is also forced to decide. I'm against sneaking in
> versioning under the pretext of restoring support for a legacy feature.

Yes, that is a very real problem.

> I also think what this draft specifies for head@profile does not add
> anything to what HTML5 already specifies, other than making it "obsolete
> and conforming" instead of "obsolete and nonconforming". You don't
> specify what values are conforming or what the processing requirements
> are. The definition of the link type should be separate from that.

That is because it's work in progress.

The end result (IMHO) should contain:

1) a statement what it is for (essentially a copy of what HTML 4 said +
fixes)

2) potentially a proposed migration path to link/@profile. For
*specifications*, not current documents, btw.

3) a short appendix clarifying that the description in 1) applies to
HTML 4.01 as well (making it an erratum)

BR, Julian

PS: and yes, I volunteered to help but didn't provide much help yet.