Re: ISSUE-55: Re-enable @profile in HTML5 (draft 1)

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 04:04:25 -0700
Cc: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>

On Oct 9, 2009, at 9:31 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> 1) head@profile is a feature inherited from HTML4, and external
> standards relied on it in good faith. But html@version has never
> been been in any version of HTML, so no one has had any valid reason
> to depend on it.

As pointed out by Anne van Kesteren, I overstated my case.

HTML 4.01 allowed a version attribute on <html>, but did not define
the syntax and made it deprecated. It is only allowed in the loose
DTD, not strict.
HTML 3.2 had a version attribute, did not specify it at all in prose,
and the DTD made it fixed to the value "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN".
HTML 3.0 had a version attribute, and in prose and the DTD made it
fixed to the value "-//W3O//DTD W3 HTML 3.0//EN".

I don't believe the version attribute is used to any significant
extent in existing Web content.

Given this history, I think the newly proposed version attribute is
effectively a brand new feature, even though HTML has had an attribute
named "version" in the past.

Regards,
Maciej