Re: HTML Working Group Decision Policy - for discussion

On Oct 7, 2009, at 9:40 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> On 10/7/09 5:04 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>> Right now, we're putting this document our for discussion. It's very
>>> important for Working Group members to read this document and give
>>> questions or comments. Once we settle on a policy, we're going to
>>> follow
>>> the procedures outlined and will expect Working Group members to
>>> be the
>>> same. So now is a great time to ask about things that are unclear,
>>> or
>>> suggest improvements.
>> So from my point of view (as an implementor), the most relevant
>> change seems to be that if I have a problem with the spec I should
>> start by filing a bug rather than by posting on this list.  Is that
>> about right?
>
> I see it more as "don't start with an issue".  Step zero still
> allows email (and, for that matter, IRC, postal mail, whatever).
> But the draft WG Decision Policy does recognize that email is
> effectively becoming "best effort" to track.  See also [1].
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/1010.html

What Sam said. It's ok to send informal feedback via email or whatever
other medium you like. I'd even say it's a good idea to start that way
if your feedback is vague and needs discussion to distill it down to a
specific, concrete form. But editors and the chairs will only
guarantee that your feedback will be tracked and will get a formal
reply if, at some point, a bug is filed. It's probably a good idea to
start with the bug for very simple and very clear points of feedback.

Regards,
Maciej