Re: Web Browser Preferences and Internationalisation/Accessibility

On Nov 19, 2009, at 6:01 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Safari, as told, only report one language as the preferred language.
> My
> small mother language have 3 language codes: nn, nb, no. As a
> consequence of Webkit's behavior, if I have set 'nn' as my preferred
> language (which I have), then the page may fall back to English or
> Chinese simply because Webkit doesn't link "nb" and "no" to "nn".
>
> If Safari would start to send an accept header that optionally reports
> more than one language, then, as result, the user may get a film with
> English audio (because he has English as the least preferred language)
> with Norwegian subtitling (because he has Norwegian as his most
> preferred language).

We're considering changing our Accept-Language header. Originally, we
sent all the languages from System Preferences in user preference
order, but this caused some sites to malfunction (due to the header
value getting too long, I believe).  However, one does seem like too
few.

Still, I think it is unlikely we'll have the ability to set something
other than the UI language as the primary language for Web content.

Regards,
Maciej