Re: Web Browser Preferences and Internationalisation/Accessibility

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:10:01 -0800, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2009, at 6:01 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>
>> Safari, as told, only report one language as the preferred language. My
>> small mother language have 3 language codes: nn, nb, no. As a
>> consequence of Webkit's behavior, if I have set 'nn' as my preferred
>> language (which I have), then the page may fall back to English or
>> Chinese simply because Webkit doesn't link "nb" and "no" to "nn".
>>
>> If Safari would start to send an accept header that optionally reports
>> more than one language, then, as result, the user may get a film with
>> English audio (because he has English as the least preferred language)
>> with Norwegian subtitling (because he has Norwegian as his most
>> preferred language).
>
> We're considering changing our Accept-Language header. Originally, we
> sent all the languages from System Preferences in user preference
> order, but this caused some sites to malfunction (due to the header
> value getting too long, I believe).  However, one does seem like too
> few.

This is good to hear. I hope the change will be in Safari and not in
the OS ...

> Still, I think it is unlikely we'll have the ability to set something
> other than the UI language as the primary language for Web content.

I suppose by UI language you mean "whatever language is located at the
top of the language list in the International control panel".  Because,
if that language doesn't have any localization (in Finder or Safari),
then you /can/ still set the language to a UI language that hasn't been
localized. This is an entirely necessary behaviour.
--
leif halvard silli