RE: HTML interpreter vs. HTML user agent

On Sun, 31 May 2009, Larry Masinter wrote:
> About Safari's feed reader, Maciej wrote:
>
> > 2) We can also display a user-selected collection of feeds as one
> > document, again displayed as HTML.
> > 3) We don't execute any script that came from the feed in the context
> > of generated HTML document. At the very least due to point #2 this
> > would be insecure.
> > 4) We don't let any web page access the contents of the generated HTML
> > document via script.
>
> Doesn't this somehow create a "restricted HTML" which is allowed in
> a feed? The HTML in a feed can't be scripted at all? Or the scripts
> can't access the HTML of their subsection?
>
> I was wondering how HTML-in-webmail could work, since the HTML of
> the mail needs to be embedded in the HTML of the webmail client itself.
>
> Where in the HTML spec is this addressed?

Just turning off scripting is just a matter of setting "scripting is
disabled":

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#concept-bc-script

One could leverage the sandbox features to disable forms, plugins,
navigation of other browsing contexts, and to make the origin appear to be
a unique origin:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#attr-iframe-sandbox

...though that's not been requested by implementors so far.