Re: HTML interpreter vs. HTML user agent

From: Rob Sayre <rsayre@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 10:49:11 -0400
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On 5/28/09 9:41 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> The actual observed behavior of user agents designed to (primarily)
> process content of a certain media type (either in general, or in the
> specific context) is to make every effort to parse the content
> according to those rules, and only if such rules fail to produce
> meaningful results will they investigate alternatives.

As I've written already, isn't that OK, and unrelated to the sniffing
algorithm?

    The purpose of the Content-Type field is to describe the data
    contained in the body fully enough that the receiving user agent can
    pick an appropriate agent or mechanism to present the data to the
    user, or otherwise deal with the data in an appropriate manner.

- Rob