Re: XMLLiteral handling in RDFa in HTML

From: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 09:02:15 +0100
Manu Sporny writes:

> [17:37:56] Manu Sporny: I agree - it's the implementation of the
> extraction method of an XML Literal that I'm having a problem with.
> [17:39:11] … especially since the extraction method varies greatly
> between HTML4, XHTML and HTML5.

What's the difference here between HTML 4 and HTML 5?

As I understand it, where something is in the HTML 4 spec but the HTML 5
spec proscribes different behaviour that is because in the latter is
what it's been discovered browsers currently do in practice when given
HTML.

In other words, for a document written to conform with HTML 4, the HTML
5 spec provides a better description than the HTML 4 spec for what
browsers will do with it.  So insofar as we're discussing compatibility
of extraction which makes use of browsers' parsing, it seems futile to
consider HTML 4 to have a distinct method from HTML 5.

Smylers