Re: minutes: HTML WG Weekly 21 May 2009 [draft]

On May 25, 2009, at 02:14, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> I was in fact stating my personal opinion about what should happen
> to the document, which is that (in the apparent absence of clear
> consensus to continue, and at least some objection) we should park
> it as per W3C process for discontinued work - with the obvious
> implication that I think it should be discontinued.

If we let the level of objection that the Design Principles got make
us abandon documents, we'll never get anything done.

As Maciej pointed out, the Design Principles review survey showed wide
support with very little dissent. (A small group of people disagreed
on many counts.) It's unlikely we could please the small group of
dissenters without watering down the Design Principles so that they'd
be less representative of the wider support.

To be clear, I think the WG should not abandon the Design Principles
document, should not water down the principles themselves and should
not add front matter that undermines the content on the document.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi