Re: Process for proposals

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On May 20, 2009, at 3:46 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> 3) The issue about what the document itself is named (raised by Roy
>> Fielding[2]) is also something that needs to be resolved.  This issue
>> primarily affects the title page and little else.
>
> The title of the document is not a technical issue, so I don't think we
> need to give a great deal of consideration to minority objectors.
> Particularly when the proposed alternative is (a) inaccurate on the face
> of it; (b) intended to downplay the value of the spec. I think we should
> let the spec be titled by people who are generally in agreement with its
> technical direction, and then assess consensus on its technical
> contents, rather than changing the title to suit the preferences of
> those who disagree with the contents.

There is no urgency to the issue, but I do believe that accurately
describing the scope and the purpose of the document produced by this
working group is something we need to resolve prior to Last Call.  Chris
and PLH are welcome to correct me on this.

Speaking for myself only, I don't think referring to the current
document as a Browser Behavior Specification is inaccurate.  I also
believe that there is significantly more to the spec than simply a
vocabulary and associated APIs.  Whether or not there is a better
description that "upplays" the value of the spec and captures the full
scope is something we can explore together.

There is no question that this document, by whatever name, is needed.

> Regards,
> Maciej

- Sam Ruby