Re: Draft W3C Excerpt License (Re: WG Decision - spec license use cases)

On Mar 5, 2009, at 3:43 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> [snip]
>> it fails. It does not work for LGPL software and it does not really
>> work for MIT-licensed software.
> [snip]
>> I was trying to start on stating which of our original use cases it
>> does not meet. Perhaps that is better done by starting with the
>> original list of use cases, and see which we feel are satisfied and
>> which are not.
>
> If we start with this:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Feb/0388.html
>
> And strike all the use cases that involve MIT-licensed software.
> And then strike all the use cases that involve LGPL software.  And
> then strike all the use cases that involve forking, what are you
> left with?

It seems to me that the use cases for excerpts in proprietary software
and non-open-source-like books may hold up. But that's about it. I
think that would be a poor result. Web standards should strive to be
friendly to open source software.

Regards,
Maciej