Re: Draft W3C Excerpt License (Re: WG Decision - spec license use cases)

The problem with open source licenses and trademarks is that the licenses generally grant permission to use whatever is distributed without restriction. Some of them allow you to require a name change for derivative works, but I don't know of any that cover logos in the same way.

Most licenses seem to intend to cover only copyright, but their actual text is so broad that their intent becomes unclear.

One possible solution might be to adopt a very liberal license for the body of the text without the front matter, and make the resulting headerless spec available separately. This would only thwart derivatives that wish to retain the same title, but those are confusing, and I understand reluctance to allow them outside the w3c process.

- Rob