List tone

From: Jens Meiert <jens@meiert.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:09:58 -0700
To: public-html@w3.org
Disclaimer: This is a personal note, intentionally not calling out any names.

With recent threads I started wondering if there is a chance that
people could focus more on providing the Working Group and the editor
with feedback that is targeted and constructive, ideally including
data to support key points?

I am especially concerned about the tone in certain discussions. It
seems some—admittedly: less than two—people on the list disrespect
members of the Working Group in such a way that the substance of their
mails borders personal attacks.

Recognizing some passion in these contributions too I think that
focusing on things that matter could go a long way. Waiting a moment
before replying, taking the time to check if messages could be
misunderstood in any way, and disagreeing appropriately [1] may all be
things that are useful.

Thanks,
 Jens.

[1] http://www.paulgraham.com/disagree.html