Re: Things in HTML that I disagree with (Was: evidence of harm)

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Shelley Powers wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Ian Hickson<ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Shelley Powers wrote:
> >>
> >> I would like to see how some of these arguments were coached. Could
> >> you point out in whatever mailing list is appropriate, the arguments
> >> discussing, say keeping the div element?
> >
> > I would love to, but I really don't have the bandwidth to do that. If
> > anyone would like to volunteer to document such discussions, I'd be
> > happy to advise. I really would love it if we could have a wiki or
> > something that documented the discussions behind all the decisions in
> > the spec so far. Personally though, I feel I must focus on taking
> > HTML5 forward and not on the equally large task of documenting how it
> > got where it is.
>
> Then, especially in comparison to your statement about you strongly
> disagreeing with the microdata section, we have to assume that no, there
> was never a situation where you vehemently opposed an addition (or
> deletion) from the HTML5 spec, but allowed the working group to override
> your objections.

I listed a number of cases where that was the case. I understand that you
may not believe me, but if you think I am lying then I can't help you. I'm
not going to do mailing list archeology that you could equally well do
yourself just because you imply that I am being untruthful.

> >> Yes, the web is a messy place. I'm surprised that you're willing to
> >> continue on as sole author of HTML 5, if you're so unhappy with the
> >> state of the web, and the markup you're being forced to live with.
> >
> > Making the Web better is more important than my own personal sense of
> > aethetics.
>
> But you are applying your own personal sense of aesthetics in your work.
> You may not think you are, but every author does. The wise author is
> aware of this, and acts accordingly.

Naturally. I don't think anyone suggested that I do not.

> Frankly, in my opinion, your sense of aesthetics shows in your pushback
> against @summary. You specify it causes "harm", but nobody has proved
> that it actually causes "harm".

It has been shown that:

 - in many cases where summary="" attributes are present on non-layout
   tables, they have bogus values that are less useful to users of ATs
   than no value at all. This harms AT users.

 - in the few cases where summary="" values are actually useful, they
   would be useful to all users, not just AT users, but using summary=""
   means the data is hidden from non-AT users. This harms non-AT users.

The data for this has been repeatedly documented on this list.