Re: Issues of @summary and use of data for "decisions"

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:22:32 -0500
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
Hi Simon,

>> It is not okay to  render critical content that is essential to
>> comprehension via CSS.
>
> That's not what I was saying.
>
> I said that the contents of <caption> can be hidden from visual users with
> CSS, should the author be reluctant to include it visually.

Ah. Sorry. You are right. It could. But to me that is a pretty ugly
work around. I  worry about authorabilty and confused functionality
(caption and summary serve different proposes).

Simon, you are a member of the PF working group. Have you discussed
with them whether your solution provides the needed accessibility
functionality? If so, what was their response?

The HTML and PF working groups should be working together, reaching
higher, and seeking ways of advancing accessibility for people with
disabilities. I'm not sure that your idea would do it, but it
certainly should be discussed.

Best Regards,
Laura
--