Re: Firing media events early for throttled downloads

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 18:45:34 +1000
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>
On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Boris Zbarsky<bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> John Foliot wrote:
>>
>> LOL, I never actually suggested removing autoplay pre-se, but *DID*
>> suggest that we not advocate it any documentation.
>
> I'm not actually sure what you mean by that...
>
>> White listing would certainly be one way of going forward (excellent
>> feature for UAs), but I am thinking that it needs to be slightly 'deeper' in
>> the mix - that the end user would/could start with a baseline setting of
>> 'never' (vs. always) - the potential for 'harm' is substantial enough that
>> it needs to be hard-wired in the UA (rather than a scripted setting - if I
>> am understanding your proposal fully).
>
> Again, I'm not sure what you're saying.  I'm thinking a user experience much
> like the popup blocker in Firefox, say.  When the page tries to start
> playing at a time when it's clear that the user didn't request it (including
> the autoplay attribute), the UA prevents the action and notifies the user.

There is also an autoplay blocker plugin for YouTube for Firefox. I
think that's the functionality that should be available as a setting
in browsers for the video and audio elements, rather than a plugin.
But I am not too worried about it - I'm sure there will be
greasemonkey scripts that will do that for us if the browser vendors
don't decide to go forward with it.

Regards,
Silvia.