Re: Firing media events early for throttled downloads

John Foliot wrote:
> LOL, I never actually suggested removing autoplay pre-se, but *DID* suggest
> that we not advocate it any documentation.

I'm not actually sure what you mean by that...

> White listing would certainly be one way of going forward (excellent feature
> for UAs), but I am thinking that it needs to be slightly 'deeper' in the
> mix - that the end user would/could start with a baseline setting of 'never'
> (vs. always) - the potential for 'harm' is substantial enough that it needs
> to be hard-wired in the UA (rather than a scripted setting - if I am
> understanding your proposal fully).

Again, I'm not sure what you're saying.  I'm thinking a user experience
much like the popup blocker in Firefox, say.  When the page tries to
start playing at a time when it's clear that the user didn't request it
(including the autoplay attribute), the UA prevents the action and
notifies the user.  The user can then allow the action this time, allow
it in general for this site, forbid in general for this site.

The UI and interaction details would be up to the UA, of course; the
spec would allow such behavior, but not require it.

-Boris