Re: Why Design Principles?

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2009, at 3:40 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>> Ian and Anne both suggested that I should add most of this
>>> justification to the Design Principles document itself. I will likely
>>> replace the current abstract and introduction with something based on
>>> this email. I suggest that those with an interest in the Design
>>> Principles should voice their objections to this plan.
>>
>> Would you be adverse to those with an interest in the Design
>> Principles voicing support for this plan?  :-)
>>
>> I believe that the text below, when both the 'content' and 'tone' are
>> taken into consideration, go a long way towards satisfying the
>> requests for a 'disclaimer'.  In particular, the text explicitly
>> acknowledges that not all of the principles enjoy full agreement, and
>> that not all of the principles have proven to be useful.  Giving
>> people an opportunity to add to this list -- with you providing
>> editorial control over the 'tone' of the additions -- would also be a
>> good idea, IMHO.
>>
>> The only paragraph I see that requires major rework is the one that
>> starts with "The Design Principles never quite advanced to a formally
>> adopted Note.".  My suggestion is that the bulk of the remaining
>> content and tone be retained intact.
>
> Thanks for voicing your support. I think sections 1 and 2 are the most
> suitable as replacement front matter.

My support was predicated on sections 1 through 8 being included.

>>> There are also some suggested additions and removals of principles at
>>> the end.
>>
>> My suggestion is that you incorporate them into the document exactly
>> as you have done below: as suggestions.  Perhaps this section doesn't
>> go into the abstract or introduction, but instead in an appendix or
>> other back matter.
>
> I'll think about what to do with that content. Suggestions from others
> along similar lines are welcome as well. It strikes me as odd that the
> Design Principles document would declare parts of itself to be not
> useful, or that it would suggest additions which are not actually present.

I actually think that by setting expectations appropriately it makes the
design principles *more* useful.  Future projects who wish to take a
similar approach are likely to encounter the same or similar issues.
There is no magic bullet and this document should not be a marketing
brochure.  Reality is complicated and always incomplete.  As a Note this
document can identify areas that merit further exploration.

> Regards,
> Maciej

- Sam Ruby