Re: Why Design Principles?

On Jun 2, 2009, at 3:40 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> Ian and Anne both suggested that I should add most of this
>> justification to the Design Principles document itself. I will
>> likely replace the current abstract and introduction with something
>> based on this email. I suggest that those with an interest in the
>> Design Principles should voice their objections to this plan.
>
> Would you be adverse to those with an interest in the Design
> Principles voicing support for this plan?  :-)
>
> I believe that the text below, when both the 'content' and 'tone'
> are taken into consideration, go a long way towards satisfying the
> requests for a 'disclaimer'.  In particular, the text explicitly
> acknowledges that not all of the principles enjoy full agreement,
> and that not all of the principles have proven to be useful.  Giving
> people an opportunity to add to this list -- with you providing
> editorial control over the 'tone' of the additions -- would also be
> a good idea, IMHO.
>
> The only paragraph I see that requires major rework is the one that
> starts with "The Design Principles never quite advanced to a
> formally adopted Note.".  My suggestion is that the bulk of the
> remaining content and tone be retained intact.

Thanks for voicing your support. I think sections 1 and 2 are the most
suitable as replacement front matter.

>> There are also some suggested additions and removals of principles
>> at the end.
>
> My suggestion is that you incorporate them into the document exactly
> as you have done below: as suggestions.  Perhaps this section
> doesn't go into the abstract or introduction, but instead in an
> appendix or other back matter.

I'll think about what to do with that content. Suggestions from others
along similar lines are welcome as well. It strikes me as odd that the
Design Principles document would declare parts of itself to be not
useful, or that it would suggest additions which are not actually
present.

Regards,
Maciej