Re: Why Design Principles?

On Jun 2, 2009, at 1:57 AM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 10:39:27 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak
> <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 2, 2009, at 1:18 AM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>>> I think there is a difference between "people are generally ok
>>> with publishing the thing as a *working draft*" and "Almost nobody
>>> has any substantive objections".
>>
>> Charles, I linked two surveys in my original email.
>>
>> One was about publishing as a working draft: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/wdhdp/
>> One was to gauge agreement or disagreement with individual
>> principles: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/dprv/results
>>
>> I think your summary correctly characterizes only one of those
>> surveys. The other showed widespread agreement with the substance
>> of the individual principles, not just with publishing.
>
> Yes, some time ago. I think that the practice in the meantime has
> shown that the agreement is not as widespread as we thought.

I haven't seen any supporters recant their views. If you think WG
opinion has dramatically changed, then we can certainly put it to
another survey. I just wanted to correct what you said about the
results of the original surveys.

>>> By focusing on on building consensus around the things that
>>> actually matter, and not distracting ourselves with documents
>>> whose usefulness is questioned by some and acknowledged as
>>> ultimately limited by others?
>>
>> Did you read my longer email which explains why the Design
>> Principles are useful and valuable, even to those who may not
>> believe in them?
>
> Yes. And while I believe that your assessment in that email is
> pretty reasonable, it doesn't convince me that we should continue to
> spend time on this document.

OK. Since we don't seem to have consensus to stop, and at least a
couple of people would like me to continue, I intend to do keep
revising the document as appropriate. Without more specifics from you
on what you find unconvincing, I don't think I can do much more to
take your viewpoint into account.

Regards,
Maciej