Re: Why Design Principles?

On 6/2/09 4:57 AM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> Yes, some time ago. I think that the practice in the meantime has
> shown that the agreement is not as widespread as we thought.

Disagree... that was easy.

> There is a point of principle to stand up for views that matter (the
> size of the vote isn't as important as the substance, as Ian keeps
> reminding us). I am arguing that focusing on things that are really
> important to the group is more important than some woolly principle of
> arguing for the majority view in the face of any objection.

I don't think anyone is doing for that woolly principle you just
invented. :)

> Yes. And while I believe that your assessment in that email is pretty
> reasonable, it doesn't convince me that we should continue to spend
> time on this document.

Are you against publishing the document?

> I am not arguing that we don't believe in the principle. I am arguing
> that while a rough note about what we sort of agree on in theory is
> valuable, I don't think that the work required to get real consensus
> on the content will be ustified by the value it can add to the
> development of HTML5.

The document hasn't changed for two years, but a few objections needed
to be addressed, and they will be. Besides--it's a moot point. Proposals
that obviously contradict the principles won't go anywhere, so I guess
someone can ignore them or argue them if they're willing to waste their
time. Another way of looking at it that they will feel free to waste the
group's time.

- Rob