Re: <object> element

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 00:04:15 -0400
To: Joe D Williams <joedwil@earthlink.net>
CC: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Joe D Williams wrote:
>> It'd be really nice if plug-in registration registered q values in
>> addition to types, but that's not a web-facing issue, of course...
>
> Maybe more about q value is in order (like, how does it help?) but yes,
> web facing issues is on topic, I hope.

A q value would change the information the browser gets from the plug-in
about a MIME type from a binary value (support or not) to a decimal
value in the 0-1 range indicating how supported it is...  So a plug-in
could indicate "yeah, I can handle this MIME type, but not very well"
kind of things.  Not really related to HTML, but to the internal APIs
browsers use to talk to plug-ins.

> One is that the list of interfaces for <object> is missing classid along
> with a note about the global interfaces defined by the <param>s and
> other negotiation with the plugin. And also I am looking for
> HTMLObjectElement. Do you think that is a discussion for this list?

Absolutely.

-Boris