RE: Auto-detect and encodings in HTML5

From: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 09:36:03 -0700
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
CC: "M.T. Carrasco Benitez" <mtcarrascob@yahoo.com>, Travis Leithead <Travis.Leithead@microsoft.com>, Erik van der Poel <erikv@google.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Harley Rosnow <Harley.Rosnow@microsoft.com>
Maciej Stachowiak [mailto:mjs@apple.com] wrote:
>I think it would be pretty poor if some indicator of the document
>version (e.g. the doctype or as suggested by someone else a version
>parameter in the Content-Type header) changed the default charset.

As much as I'm well documented in favor of having a versioned doctype, I agree that changing the default charset from its current de facto Win1252 value would be a bad idea, largely for the gradual adoption desire that Maciej mentioned.

-Chris