Re: ACTION-95, ISSUE-65: Plan to publish a new WD of HTML-5

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:13:20 -0500
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
CC: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Robin Berjon wrote:
> In the spirit of tiptoeing around the situation some more, I'd like to
> point out that Working Drafts are NEVER normative. Only Recommendations
> are.

While true, a Working Draft is ipso facto something that is intended to
become a Recommendation if it gathers consensus.

> I understand the arguments for sync and I understand the arguments for
> splits. But there's no reason we have to decide now. Since this WG is
> populated with people who have enough time on their hands to discuss
> issues of little relevance to the actual technologies, paying attention
> to an extra document shouldn't tax anyone's resources. So push the draft
> out and see how things go. No kitten will be harmed.

As I said before, as long as there is a concrete plan for not ending up
with two Recommendations that are both normative and cover the same
ground, I'm fine with that.

I just don't want a situation where right now people say that it doesn't
matter because it's just a Working Draft and when it gets to be in Last
Call they claim that it's too late to object to the normative status or
the scope.