Re: biased surveys and other tricks

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:58:07 -0800
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>

On Jan 28, 2009, at 11:40 AM, Larry Masinter wrote:

> If it's not clear, I'd like to see HTML-WG produce specifications
> that are useful (as specifications to be referenced in development,
> as well as cited and used by customers) to makers of web authoring
> tools (like Adobe Dreamweaver) and back-end web site tools
> (like Adobe Cold Fusion), web site capture tools and document-to-
> HTML conversion tools (like those in Adobe Acrobat and Acrobat.com),
> collaborative authoring tools (like Adobe Buzzword), among others.

ditto (speaking from the perspective of the server and content
management communities).  HTML is a declarative mark-up language,
first and foremost, and should be defined as such even if the
behavioral aspects triggered by rendering cause the DOM to be
modified on the fly.  There is considerable value in defining
what is valid HTML for both what-goes-over-the-wire and what
gets rendered on a browser.

....Roy