Re: <dialog>

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 07:27:42 +0000 (UTC)
To: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>
Cc: public-html@w3.org, wai-xtech@w3.org

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:

> restoring wai-xtech to the carbon-copy list

This isn't really a wai-xtech issue (it's a core HTML5 vocabulary naming
issue), but ok.

> > <q> isn't used much either. I really don't think it is realistic to
> > expect <dialog> (or <d>) to be used enough to justify having such a
> > short name.
> >
> > Based on my experience doing studies of Web content, I would estimate
> > that if you took a random sample of 1000 pages on the Web, at most one
> > would have some text that would be appropriate for <dialog>.
>
> what was the methodology used?

None, I'm making a prediction from my experience of looking at randomly
selected Web pages for the past few years.

> D and Q aren't used because (a) one does not yet exist and (b) most
> places where Q would be appropriate, character entity values or simple
> "naked" quotes are utilized...

I was just talking about pages that would have any use for <dialog> at
all, but indeed, even many of the pages that _could_ use <dialog> would
likely not make use of it, even if we educate people until we're blue in
the face.

> aren't we trying to improve the web -- doesn't that mean improving the
> user and authoring experience by using D and Q to signify dialogue and a
> quote, respectively, so that they CAN be utilized by page authors...
> use of Q and D as semantic markers is not only critical, but the only
> semantically sensible thing to do, and lachy's web developer's guide to
> HTML5 should stress to authors that they utilize such elements, rather
> than indicatiing dialogue or quotations with character entity values,
> unicode values or "naked" quotes...

My point is that even if every single relevant page used <dialog>, it
would still be used extremely rarely and wouldn't justify using a short
name.