Re: <dialog>

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 06:58:57 +0000 (UTC)
To: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

(trimming cc list)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:

> i proposed a single letter element -- D -- for "dialogue" precisely
> because it will be used so often -- for example, in marking up a
> fictional story, one would not use Q or QUOTE to mark dialogue, because
> one is not quoting the characters, rather, the dialogue indicates that
> the author is speaking in that character's voice...

<q> isn't used much either. I really don't think it is realistic to expect
<dialog> (or <d>) to be used enough to justify having such a short name.

Based on my experience doing studies of Web content, I would estimate that
if you took a random sample of 1000 pages on the Web, at most one would
have some text that would be appropriate for <dialog>.

stricter semantics, not because it has a high-profile use case.)