Re: Registering the about: URI scheme

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 00:06:28 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Cameron McCormack wrote:
>> I note that in Firefox and Opera (the two browsers I have available at
>> the moment) both don’t return an empty resource, but a text/html
>> resource that has some content, but not much.
>> Does this matter?

No, HTML5 currently defines about:blank to be an empty resource.

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#about:blank

> In a browser, the result of loading about:blank must certainly be a
> Document object which allows document.write() to be called on it.
>
> I'd bet money that not having a document.body would also break web pages.

According to the HTML5 parsing algorithm, an empty document results in a
DOM with HTML, HEAD and BODY elements, so document.body will be available.

> Is Opera's about:blank actually in standards mode?

Yes.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/