Re: cloneNode() and script execution

From: Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:32:25 +0900
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "Preston L. Bannister" <preston@bannister.us>, public-html@w3.org

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:44:30 +0900, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>

>> Not current practise according to my tests (except for Safari which
>> happily re-executes many more scripts than the rest of us - perhaps
>> Safari just didn't come across those compat problems yet? Pure luck?
>> ;-) )
> We haven't run into issues with this as far as I know but I am willing
> to believe they exist, and we are not wedded to the current behavior.

Quoting the developer who fixed the last of these issues we found:

> Not really a bug except in the sense "we're incompatible with MSIE in
> an obscure way and because the world is such a fucked up place the
> chance of that causing super-bad problems is roughly 100 %".

> One thing I am curious about is what exactly the Trident behavior is
> here, since apparently Gecko's behavior is an attempt to partly emulate
> it.

For cloneNode()? I wish I could give a really good answer, but I'm having
problems getting my test cases here to run in IE8 - perhaps it's just "too
beta" and unstable. :-( It keeps throwing errors about "unexpected"
property access or method calls. I'm not sure if it's worth the time to
try to make these tests run in the beta version.

Hallvord R. M. Steen
Core JavaScript tester, Opera Software
Opera - simply the best Internet experience