Re: Proposed amends to <small> element

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 11:24:17 -0000, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:

> The use cases for small was not intended to include large amounts of
> text in copyright licences, EULAs and contracts.  It's intended for the
> short copyright notices and other legalese often found in the footers of
> pages.

Although small was "intended" for short notices, that intention is new and
only within this draft spec - so presumably can be redefined.

If that intention has somehow achieved sacrosanctity, the spec should say
"small is for short copyright notices and other legalese often found in
the footers" (or even be restricted to the <footer> element).

But I don't think the intention of the editor of a draft spec means that
it is sacrosanct (and I'm certain that Hixie doesn't believe it to be). If
it is not sacrosanct, then it may very well be redefined.

I suggest that <small> be allowed to surround block level elements,
because  a list of caveats, or two paragraphs, may legitimately be
legalese and worthy of the <small> tag.

I think that a spec should avoid arbitarary distinctions such as element x
is intended only for "short" content; who defines "short"?

bruce