Re: autocomplete on form (was: Comparing conformance requirements against real-world docs)

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 17:41:39 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:
>> 0.0009	Attribute �autocomplete� not allowed on element �form� at this point.
> That's very rare. I've removed the XXX in the spec saying we might add
> this. (IE supports it.)

<form autocomplete="off"> seems to be supported by Firefox as well.

It's used by several major Australian banking sites that I checked.

These are 3 of the largest banks in Australia and their online banking
login pages:

Commonwealth Bank
(This is the largest bank in Australia)
* Uses autocomplete on <form> element only

National Australia Bank
* Uses autocomplete on both <form> and <input> elements

* Uses autocomplete on both <form> and <input> elements

These are some of the smaller credit unions in Australia that use
autocomplete on <form> only:

Labratories Credit Union

Cuscal and Abacus

Big Sky

There's a big list of Australian credit union websites listed here.  I
only checked a random sample, but many of them do seem to use
autocomplete on form rather than on input elements.

Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software