Re: Write-up about semantics in HTML5 from A List Apart

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> What does HTML5 change in principle (if it has to change anything)?

It is more detailed, that's about it.

> What we will tell to John the Plumber if he would ask us "why HTML5"?

HTML5 has features HTML4 doesn't have. That's really the only authoring
reason to use HTML5 over HTML4.

> What problems HTML5 solves now and what foundation it creates for future
> if to compare with HTML4?

It solves the problem of vagueness in HTML4, XHTML 1, and DOM2 HTML, and
it addresses a set of use cases that HTML4 didn't address.

For more detail on the "big picture" behind HTML5's development, see,
e.g.:

   http://www.w3.org/2004/04/webapps-cdf-ws/papers/opera.html
   http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1085056751&count=1
   http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1086052347&count=1