Re: Write-up about semantics in HTML5 from A List Apart

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:17:09 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: John Allsopp <john@westciv.com>, public-html@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
> Thus there is no need for HTML5 to have author-usable features for
> extensibility to solve the problems of decades from now. The extensibility
> mechanisms for authors (and HMTL5 has many [1]) should solve _today's_
> problems; and the language should be designed in such a way that the

I'd prefer extensibility also to address future problem (at least to try
that), otherwise it's really a poor kind extensibility :-)

> future maintainers of HTML can later extend the language to fix their
> problems. This is just how HTML4 was done; it's how CSS was done; it's how
> XML was done (you can't invent new XML syntax, for instance, that would
> require a new version of XML).

That is misleading. The important difference in XML is that the syntax
is frozen (-> no new parser required, at least in theory (*)), but
XML-based languages are extensible nevertheless (on the vocabulary
level, not the syntax level).

Best regards, Julian

(*) XML 1.0 5th ed