Re: summary="" in HTML5 ISSUE-32

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:14:29 +0000 (UTC)
To: David Poehlman <poehlman1@comcast.net>
Cc: HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, David Poehlman wrote:

> could @summary not be taught to display to all?

That would be ideal, but unfortunately, pages on the Web that use
summary="" almost always use it incorrectly, with horrible values that
aren't helpful to anyone, and thus we could never get browser vendors to
actually do this.

Having whatever solution we _do_ use, e.g. <caption>, be visible to all
users from the beginning, ensures that all users get a better experience
because bad summary="" text won't be created.

(Authors typically write bad summary="" text for the same reason they
write bad alt="" text -- they don't understand what they are doing, and
have no way to test it. Visible text, they _do_ have a way to test.)

Note that in HTML5, <caption> has been redefined to clearly include in its
scope all the material that in HTML4 was only appropriate in summary="".