Re: Use and abuse of @summary

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:28:22 +0000
To: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, "W3C WAI Protocols & Formats" <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, wai-liaison@w3.org
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no> wrote:

> So your message is that
>
> a) H73 doesn't give the advice you would have given, when it comes to simple
> tables.
> b) But those that find the H73-advice correct for simple tables as well,
> should have the opportunity to follow it.
> c) But still, your advice is that @summary on simple tables can be useful,
> as long as one doesn't limit oneselves to desrbiing te pure table structure
> (but rather use it e.g. like @alt?)

First and foremost, my message is that H73 is advisory, not
mandatory...and open to interpretation. So yes, a) and b) as above.
Beyond that, I don't have any particularly strong opinion about how
@summary is used. Personally, I'd prefer a visible caption element.
But again, that doesn't mean I'd want to see @summary removed as a
hook for situations in which other authors may feel it's useful.

Sorry about my non-committal feelings about it...all due to the
openness to interpretation

Patrick H. Lauke

http://webstandards.org/