Re: Use and abuse of @summary

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:32:47 +0100
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, W3C WAI Protocols & Formats <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, wai-liaison@w3.org
Steven Faulkner wrote:
> After last weeks html working group teleconference I undertook a small study
> myself: summary attribute usage data (
> http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/summary.html)

Interestingly, you used the summary attribute on the table in that page:

summary="In the majority of cases summary is used on data tables and
used correctly"

However, that contains information that would have been useful to me as
a sighted user too, but which I would have missed if I hadn't looked at
the source.

It also doesn't seem to fit the description in WCAG2 about how to use
the summary attribute:

"... to provide a brief overview of how data has been organized into a
  table or a brief explanation of how to navigate the table."

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H73.html

So, ironically, I would consider this table itself to be an example of
incorrect use of the summary attribute.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/