RE: What's the problem? "Reuse of 1998 XHTML namespace is potentially misleading/wrong"

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 15:47:18 -0800
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
CC: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
> How about this: before we start contemplating solutions to the problem
> of sharing the namespace with XHTML2, we should understand why the
> problem needs to exist in the first place.

It is fundamental to the nature of standards-making that groups engaged in defining standards consist mainly of organizations otherwise engaged in competition, and completely unrealistic to expect agreement on motivations purpose, intent, background, history or other non-technical subjects.

So no: I don't think we need to agree on "why the problem exists" in order to accept that there is a problem, or to come to consensus on a potential solution, even if we each come with a completely different motivation or justification for addressing the problem.

Regards,

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net