Re: What's the problem? "Reuse of 1998 XHTML namespace is potentially misleading/wrong"

On Feb 16, 2009, at 3:47 PM, Larry Masinter wrote:

>> How about this: before we start contemplating solutions to the
>> problem
>> of sharing the namespace with XHTML2, we should understand why the
>> problem needs to exist in the first place.
>
> It is fundamental to the nature of standards-making that groups
> engaged in defining standards consist mainly of organizations
> otherwise engaged in competition, and completely unrealistic to
> expect agreement on motivations purpose, intent, background, history
> or other non-technical subjects.

But it is also fundamental to the nature of standards-making that we
try to find common ground by making technical arguments that can be
evaluated objectively. Even though we may have biases or hidden
agendas or strange motivations, we try to make arguments on a basis
that may persuade others. In general in the W3C it is expected that
cross-WG feedback comes with associated technical justification.

> So no: I don't think we need to agree on "why the problem exists" in
> order to accept that there is a problem, or to come to consensus on
> a potential solution, even if we each come with a completely
> different motivation or justification for addressing the problem.

I think the possibility that the problem of namespace conflict is
completely unnecessary, is very relevant to the choice of solutions we
should consider. Likewise, the possibility that there is a strong
technical argument for XHTML2's use of the XHTML1 namespace is very
relevant. It would be silly to just take the XHTML2 WG's actions as
givens and not even ask for justification.

Regards,
Maciej