Re: What's the problem? "Reuse of 1998 XHTML namespace is potentially misleading/wrong"

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:23:36 -0800
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

On Wednesday 2009-02-11 10:10 -0800, Larry Masinter wrote:
> Generally namespaces name vocabularies and not languages that use
> those vocabularies; generally, versioning of languages is handled
> independently through some other mechanism (e.g., DOCTYPE as per
> ISSUE-4, which we will discuss soon although I've put it off), and
> generally, reuse of a namespace in a new version of a language is
> perfectly appropriate.

I would go further than merely saying reuse of a namespace is
appropriate.  I would say that using a new namespace for the same
vocabulary is *inappropriate*, for reasons I described in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Feb/0018.html

(So I support your proposal to close the issue.)

-David