simple shorthand syntax proposal

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 14:27:34 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org

I write tags by hand and often find myself typing:

or something similar. That is, I use the selector syntax in start
tags instead of the more correct:

Likewise, I could see myself writing:

instead of:

Allowing these shorthands would simplify and shorten html files.

While on the topic of shortening things, I'd also like to see a
one-letter generic character-level element. The letter c looks
marvellous:

Combinding the two proposals, we could write:

Easier on the eye, isn't it? The markup would neatly comine with:

 p.abstract { margin: 2em }
 c.topic { font-weight: bold }

Cheers,

-h&kon