Re: Discussions with plh [was: Moving Forward]

On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> = Topic 1: License =
>
> We started with the license.  In my discussions with Ian and at
> Mozilla, I gathered that it was a shared understanding that by
> October that the license for the W3C license would be somehow open
> source friendly, and specifically that a Creative Commons
> Attribution license was something that was of common and general
> interest.
>
> Philippe remains highly supportive of this direction, and indicated
> that it would be helpful to him if this were more than simply a
> general understanding, but instead were an explicit decision of the
> working group.
>
> I already know that this is the intent and desire of Ian.
> Therefore, I intend to place on Thursday's agenda a request for
> supporters and/or objections on this direction.  If we get a minimum
> of two independent supporters and no objections by the following
> Thursday, I'll inform plh of the decision.  If we don't, I'll
> continue to work the issue, giving people an opportunity to request
> a poll and/or I'll work with people to help them clarify their
> objections.

I strongly agree with the license change, and I doubt there is anyone
who objects. But still, I think we should follow the group decision
policy which is to allow asynchronous participation. So perhaps it
would be appropriate to start soliciting support and objections by
email before the Thursday meeting.

In that spirit, I'd like to express my support for the license change.

Regards,
Maciej