Re: Public feedback on HTML5 video

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 14:20:40 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Philip J├Ągenstedt <philipj@opera.com>, Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com>, Jeremy Keith <jeremy@adactio.com>, HTMLwg <public-html@w3.org>
Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> It's really not what Gruber mentioned, though.  He, and the rest of
> us, don't want a page with 3+ (or 50+) <video>s to start buffering all
> of them.  That's obviously bad.  But grabbing a little bit of
> information from each, to determine intrinsic ratios and duration?
> That's both fine, and roughly on par with downloading an image.  We're
> fine with the performance of 50+ images on a page, so why do we need
> the ability to control <video> any more carefully?

Potentially because of servers without proper partial request (byte
range) support...

Best regards, Julian