Re: http content type authoritative for object data?

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 02:26:14 -0800
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>> There is lots of good data in the bugs I cited. And suggestions for
>> further reasearch.
>>
>> If someone feels passionate about this I suggest they do the remaining
>> research as well as getting the know broken sites fixed. *That* has a much
>> greater chance of getting implementations to change than anything any spec
>> says.
>
> Step 1 is to *allow* a UA to treat the HTTP content-type as authoritative.

I disagree. As a browser developer, data based on research is much
more likely to convince me that something will not break the web than
a spec forbidding, requiring, allowing or recommending any particular
behavior. That is step 1.

I really think that if someone spent time on research and evangelism
this effort could be solved. What the HTML 5 spec says means little to
me. As should be obvious if you read the bugs referenced.

/ Jonas