Re: CHANGE PROPOSAL: Table Summary

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 11:49:15 -0800
Cc: HTML WG Public List <public-html@w3.org>
To: Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>

On Nov 19, 2009, at 8:33 AM, Cynthia Shelly wrote:

> Here is the change proposal to address the issues around summary.
> The description and details are in the link, the spec text for the
> table section in the attached .html file.   Iíll link to it in the
> list archive once this mail is in there.
>
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Summary_Change_Proposal_Nov_18%2C_2009#References
>
> <table2.html>

Thanks for providing a Change Proposal for this issue! The chairs are
reviewing Change Proposals to ensure that they meet the required
structure. Here is our feedback on this Change Proposal:

1) It contains all of the required parts of a Change Proposal and thus
meets the basic structural requirements.

2) The Summary is extremely long - most of it should be in Details,
and the current contents of Details would make a fine Summary. We
suggest mostly exchanging Details (other than the link to the drafted
spec text) and Summary to make the summary concise.

3) The Change Proposal requests multiple changes, however, the
Rationale section only covers rationale for some of them. In
particular, there does not appear to be rationale for the following:
     (a) The new table@orientation attribute.
     (b) The new DOM API to retrieve the headings associated with a
cell.
     (c) The guidance for conformance checkers, which requires a
warning or advisory on any table that has any kind of description
(summary, caption, legend, or aria-describedby).

We suggest updating the Change Proposal to reflect the feedback in
points (2) and (3).

Regards,
Maciej