Re: ISSUE-53: mediatypereg - suggest closing on 2009-09-03

Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> I disagree.
>> Julian is correct.  The registration for text/html needs to include
>> sufficient information to allow legacy documents served with that type
>> to retain their meaning.
>
> The HTML5 spec does have sufficient information to allow legacy documents
> served with that type to be processed in a fashion that retains their
> meaning, as far as I am aware. If I have missed something, please let me
> know.

You keep saying that, but pointing things out again and again doesn't
appear to work.

"Retaining the meaning" and "to be processed in a fashion that retains
their meaning" are not the same thing.

For the former, the specification must define what the element/attribute
means. Usually, that means more than describing what a UA needs to do
with it. head/@profile and meta/@scheme are examples that immediately
come to mind; I'm sure there's more.

BR, Julian